Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Dada

My husband and I have gone back and forth over who would be named first by our daughter. Mama or Dada? Both representing sides (him and myself) were pushing her to say the magic little words. Although, I honestly think he tried harder to get her to say “dada” than I did for “mama.” The day finally arrived that she decided to speak her first coherent form of communication. And go figure, she says, “dada.” Am I jealous? Slightly. Is he rubbing it in? Yes! He is rubbing it in like a dry skinned person rubs in lotion. It is ridiculous. It makes me more jealous.

We argue (playfully!) back and forth. I say, it is scientifically proven that babies go from “baba” (which she skipped) to “dada” to “mama.” He says, “That’s ok, she still said dada first so she loves me more.” I say, “She doesn’t even understand that “dada” means you yet. She is using the sounds as a platform to learn more.” He says, “Oh she knows who dada is.” 

After that comment on my part, every time she says dada now, he says, “I’m here” and looks at me smugly. He of course has the right to be thrilled. He won the race that we have been running for months now. He is so happy she is talking about him. He really can’t contain it. He is on cloud nine and there is no bringing him down or getting him to ease up on teasing me. I can’t wait to hear her say mama now! 


So this morning, her and I were going back and forth with our “dada” communications and I decided I would try to get her to say “mama.” It really went well! I said, “mama.” She said, “dada.” So I said a little more enthusiastically, “No, mama!!” and she said, “DADA!!” I think we are making progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment