Friday, November 21, 2014

Positives and Negatives of becoming a nanny

If you are a mother who needs income but wants to keep your child close, consider becoming a nanny. Like most jobs, you get both positive and negative things.

Positives:

The biggest one for me revolves around daycare. You keep your child. You don’t have to worry about how your child will be treated when you aren’t around. You also don’t have to add the expense of daycare. Let’s face it, in some cities, daycare costs as much as a months income and you end up being the one taking care of your child and missing work due to all the sicknesses your child catches at daycare. Sickness that usually ends up causing you to miss more work first to take care of the baby then because you catch it. You have the control of your child. I heard so many stories of babies being left alone, crying with a soaked diaper. Or toddlers being taught by other children to spit, bite and pinch. No thank you.

If you love children, it is a great way to be around them!

Your child has a friend to play with and if you are like me, you will love that you can be as loud, creative, fun and crazy as you want to be. Babies don’t judge like coworkers! 



Negatives:

No insurance. This is the big one for me. We (my daughter and I) had to get on my husband’s insurance and it is not cheap. 

It can be very exhausting! I went from a desk job where I sat all day to a job where I am constantly on the run, lifting babies and now I am having to chase after them. When I go home I am ready for bed! 

No retirement but you can always set the money aside that you are saving from not having to pay daycare!


The first few weeks were hard. Dakota trying to get used to sharing her mom and me trying to get used to juggling them both. A lot of times, I compare my job to having twins. After we all got into the swing of things, my job became much more enjoyable. I love my little one and I miss her when I am on vacation or even home on the weekends. Babies can take your heart like no one else can but becoming a nanny isn't for everyone.


I also had to deal with people thinking I was crazy for leaving my job. I left a job with benefits that was literally almost impossible to get fired from for a job that had no guarantees. I knew in my heart it was the right thing to do for us though. You have to trust your judgement and do what you feel is right for your family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment